Notifications
Clear all

Friendships

6 Posts
6 Users
7 Reactions
Topic starter
(@Latika)

I have these toxic family members who have a plethora of issues. I have just been ignoring their comments, behaviour, etc over the years because I grew tired of arguing. Every time I bring up an issue they refuse to accept that they were wrong and will argue till kingdom come. In turn I distanced myself and just ignored everything they did as it did not matter. I knew where they stood in my life. Recently something happened and I snapped. The same way they treated me and tried to tarnish my name I did the same to them. In the process I lost dear friends of mine because they were manipulated into believing them without even having context or understanding why I even reacted that way. Those closest to me understand and I didn’t have to explain to them. My heart still hurts that there are ex friends who believe I’m this person I’m not and I want to clear my name. How can I move on and accept this? I know I shouldn’t care but it angers me that I’m painted to be someone I’m not. 

5 Replies
(@sara190)

I think a lot of children of narcissists tend to gravitate toward narcissistic friends. After all, we were trained at a very early age that we exist only to serve the narcissist ☹  I learned from a therapist that I’m less likely to see Narcs coming because I grew up surrounded by them. For better or worse they feel like home

1 Reply
UnseriousSally
(@unserioussally)

@sara190 sis i feel like your talking about my childhood. When I realised my mom was a narcissist I became more sensitive toward the behaviours of others in my fs group and i noticed alot of the patterns i saw at home

Lulu
(@lula)

Here is the truth about gossip: You cannot stop it.

People will always talk about others. The more worthwhile things you do (and sometimes the more worthless things you do) the more you will give others things to talk about. In one of life’s greatest twists, everyone talks about you but nobody cares.

In another of life’s greatest twists, people talk about you way less than you think.

People talk about others when they are not happy with themselves. If you are busy with a joyful, motivated life you really don’t have the kind of time required to engage in this type of activity.

People reveal a lot more about themselves than about the person they are talking about.

Keep your eyes on your own path. That is more important, more true and more relevant than ever listening to what others have to say about you ❤️ 

(@qamar)

We are always somehow the villain in someone else’s story and it’s not possible to be liked by everyone unfortunately. Yes it’s upsetting that they have a bad picture of you now, but honestly even if they somehow got over it are they really the people you see yourself close to or need in your life now? Maybe see this as Allah’s way of distancing you from people who do not wish good on you or bring khayr into your life. Alhamdulilah for the sincere ones who understand. Praying for you to be away from such toxic environments they’re honestly horrible for your mental health.

1 Reply
(@afiasis)

@qamar Exactly because those friends will be the same ones holding you back later on in life. Sometimes its just better to be alone